Let's get Messy!



A couple of weeks ago I had the great pleasure and joy of attending my very first Messy Church at Sherwood Anglican Church. Sherwood Anglican is well known for being champions of Messy Church with Sue and Glen Taylor being strong advocates and trainers for many years of this form of Church Service. Ever since I started this job, Messy Church has often come up in conversations when discussing ways we can become more intergenerational and how we can reach families to share the Gospel in ways and formats that are engaging and welcoming.

Messy Church started back in England in 2004 and has since grown and spread across many different countries worldwide. This expression of church at its very heart is about family, to share the gospel and pass along the faith through a service that allows everyone of all ages to come together to learn and worship. I am not an expert on Messy Church so if you are interested in exploring it a little more head straight to their website at


So how was my experience of Messy Church at Sherwood? It was a joyful and new experience for me. That Sunday focus was on the ‘Mountain’ experience of God which explored the 10 commandments and the Beatitudes (Matt 5:3-11) which through the format of Messy Church turned into various fun activities such as colouring in our own version of the 10 commandment tablets, making delicious bee cupcakes (Be(e)atitudes – get it? I love a good pun), and creating our own mountain which would become the backdrop for Communion.

There was something simple but powerful about walking into Sherwood Church, because to me, it felt alive. The church building itself is beautiful with gorgeous stain glass windows and high ceilings, but it was the various artworks which have been created over the years through (what I guessed) their Messy Church services infused the building with joyful times of learning and exploring of God’s word. It felt welcoming and open and this continued throughout the entire service.

My favourite moment was during Communion. Some of my favourite times of Communion have been in more unconventional places such as around campfires and in lecture rooms, where laughter and fellowship was felt as we participated in the reminder of what Christ has done for us. The culture of openness throughout this service meant that conversations rather than silence are the norm even during communion. It was in this space that I had a fantastic conversation with one of the elders of Sherwood Church about the power of God’s word while we waited patiently to partake in Communion itself. It was through shared stories and wonderment of what God has spoken to us in our lives through His word that centred me when I finally came to receive the bread and wine. Making it a deeper spiritual experience than I would normally have in a service where silence or background music is observed.
This moment was amongst what was a great time all around and it was refreshing to experience church in a different way and a service that celebrates and highlights what each of us can bring regardless of our age and maturity in Christ. The service wasn’t perfect by any means and I wouldn’t say that Messy Church is for any and every church, but it I can’t deny that Messy Church has made its mark on Sherwood Anglican for the better. I left a service that was filled with laughter, life, hospitality, and a strong sense of family. It was a beautiful experience and I think there is much to be learnt about the approaches that Messy Church takes in forming the way we do church in new ways.




By Erica Skerman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018: The Year of Being "Generations Together"

Doing Small Sized Ministry Well

3 Things for Churches to Consider about the Containers for Change Scheme!